Everyone needs a mood board or pin board to keep their lives in order or their inspiration alive.
We purchased a magnetic board a while ago but were met with a bit of buyers regret when we realised it was a little bit bland and uninspiring. But, never ones to shy away from a bit of reinvention and repurposing, some easy work is all it took to transform this buy.
In no time at all, we’ve elevated this board and made it into a funky piece of functional art. The good news is that you can do it with magnetic board, cork board or a simple piece of MDF wood from a hardware store. All the revamping principals are the same.
What you’ll need:
- Magnetic board (we got this one from IKEA)
- Fabric (the smaller the design, the better. Remember, a lot of the board will be covered so the brighter and more intricate the design, the more pop you’ll have)
- Craft glue (we used a simply tube glue from Spotlight. Ensure it is not too runny)
- Simply lay the fabric over your magnet board and leave a good 10cm around the edge of the board. Cut your fabric and leave it aside.
- Place some glue in horizontal strips on your magnetic board (ensure you don’t place too much. If the glue is too wet it will seep through the fabric)
- Lay the fabric face-down on a flat surface and place the mood board on top of it glue-side down.
- Flip it over and smooth out the front with your hand or a towel
- Flip it back over and glue the edges down to the back of the board and leave to dry
This piece is so versatile; use it in your kitchen to display bills and important reminders, in your study to hold notes or precious memories or even the kids room to keep their artwork in order. We’ve popped a little inspirational quote onto ours as a happy balance to the functional items like bus tickets, bills and shopping lists that are also going to go up there.
Do you have a mood board at home? Send us a pic or let us know how you use yours!