Breakfasts can be unfairly deemed the boring meal of the day. However it is essential to have a healthy start and with a little imagination and a snippet of time, you can create a gourmet treat for a quick breakfast on the go or for an impressive brunch with friends.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 litre of organic full cream milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vinegar
- pinch of salt (optional)
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 4 teaspoons of organic honey
- 4 wholemeal slices of toast (the larger the slice the better)
You’ll need a round cookie cutter, a piece of muslin cloth, colander and a kitchen thermometer (good to have but not essential).
- Making homemade ricotta is much simpler than you think. Simply warm the milk in a saucepan on medium heat till it is hot and small bubbles form on the edges, but don’t let the milk boil. If you have a kitchen thermometer then the milk needs to be take off the heat at 90 degrees celsius (190 fahrenheit).
- Once you’ve taken the milk off the heat, add the vinegar and salt and stir about 5 times till combined. Then leave it to set for 5 minutes. You’ll notice it starts to curdle immediately.
- After 5 minutes, pour the milk into a colander or strainer lined with some muslin cloth which will catch the ricotta and then leave it to strain for another 5 minutes before twisting the muslin to squeeze out any excess water. And there you have it; homemade ricotta.
- Cut four circles out of each piece of toast with the cookie cutter, spread each piece with some honey and then a dollop of ricotta on top.
- Sprinkle some nutmeg and cinnamon on top (you could also add some fresh berries or banana on top)
It’s that easy to put together a tasty, healthy and impressive breakfast treat. Pair it with some lovely iced coffee and you’ll have quite a breakfast spread.
Stay tuned for our savory version of this coming soon!
If you liked this post, then you may like to take a look through the rest of our recipes catgegory.