This is the perfect recipe for a delish breakfast, brunch or afternoon treat. It’s super simple to make and is more of an assembling of ingredients than a ‘cooking heavy’ recipe. The blend of different flavours like the sweetness of the cream cheese mix and the salty and sweet brittle makes for a perfect flavour combo. The textures work well too – the soft and fluffy pancake, the smooth cheese and the crunchy brittle.
Ingredients (makes 20):
- Organic Pancake Mix (Whaaat? Don’t judge me, I told you this recipe would be super simple) and any additional ingredients that the packet specifies. Ie, this Woolworths one I used requires 400ml of milk and a good shake.
- Handful of walnuts.
- 150g of cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon of icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon of butter
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
1. Chop the walnuts so that they are pretty consistent in size.
2. Warm the butter on a medium heat and add the walnuts. Toast them till golden brown and then add the brown sugar.
3. Mix for a few minutes till evenly coated, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
You could make a little extra of this brittle to keep in the fridge to top desserts, breakfast cereal or to give away to friends. Check out my easy ideas for dressing up an old jar with chalkboard paint.
4. Make five large pancakes with the directions on your pancake mix. Don’t worry about the variations in colour, the toppings will cover it all up.
5. Use a cookie cutter to cut out four circles in each large pancake
6. Mix the cream cheese and icing sugar.
7. Assemble: lay out the pancake bases, either pipe or dollop on the cream cheese and sprinkle the walnut brittle on top. You could also add some strawberry jam on top of the cream cheese mix instead of the brittle.
Hope you enjoyed my little creation. I have a bunch more recipe ideas with more on the way!